Wednesday, March 25, 2009

City City Bang Bang!!!

Something has changed and I dont like it. It's like a lot of Pandora's boxes have been opened over the last few months.I am a true blue Bangalorean (having spent 23 years of my life here I can say that confidently) and proudly so. It's true what they say about being a Bangalorean for life.I have always loved the spirit of this city and will continue to do so always. People are nice and very live and let live or so I thought till yesterday.Its strange how your views change when someone dear to you gets ambushed for having a bike not registered in Karnataka and gets told that they have no rights to go jogging in a park for the same reason.I blame this on our complacence. It's the good old Bangalorean attitude of "swalpa adjust maadi" which is riding on my nerves right now. We are fine with people walking all over us.We dont report issues such as the one I mentioned above because we assume nothing will be done in any case. I am sick of being careful. I hate being cowed down.
I miss those days way back in school when we used to go to Cubbon park every summer hols and it was almost like a yearly ritual back then.A day out at cubbon park meant unlimited amount of ice-cream and pop-corn.It also meant unlimited time on the monkey-bars,swings, and slides and the ultimate thrill- a ride on the toy train.I feel bad for the new generation of kids.Cubbon park has definitely not been preserved for posterity.
The Lalbagh flower show was an event that was marked on our calendars.My dad being a principal scientist with the Indian Institute of horticultural research,went into a tizzy each time
we went to attend the flower show.This was more like treat for him than for us. We always looked forward to the treats afterwards.Sadly we all got busy with our lives and there is
never any time for a "silly flower show" anymore.
Bangalore will always have a special place in my heart.This is the city I grew up in,the city that taught me to love and let go, the city that gave me an opportunity to interact with some
fascinating people, the city that gave me great friends ( so wonderful that sometimes I wonder if I deserve them).Here is where I learnt that nothing is impossible;tough-yes but not impossible.I have had some of my sweetest victories here.This city taught me to be tolerant and humble(I'm working on that :)). I learnt my lessons on "not being judgemental here". This
city taught me to live and let live.My heart bleeds today as this very framework of the city is being attacked.As the city loses its charm slowly I feel I'm losing a part of my personality along with it.I want my city back!!!! I want to feel at home again.

1 comment:

  1. Oh..that's so sentimental..so no comments.

    Some good hearts still exist and these ones think about making the best from what at hand. Last year all of us from ma company donated our one day in cleaning Cabban Park. I guess we have similar plans this year too. How many volunteers could you arrange?..hehe.

    Lalbagh..flower fest..maam people still attend. I myself have gone thr twice in 2 years.

    I love Bangalore, cheers..!!

    ReplyDelete