Friday, June 5, 2009

A new light..


This morning Mr.Free-spirit sent me the above photograph.He knew it would affect me deeply and needless to say it did exactly that and more.Here is a little history behind the photo from Mr. Free-spirit's diaries.
Circa July,2006
Place:Bhandardhara , 250 km from Mumbai
This is a remote village in Maharashtra where there is only one phone.There is a queue to receive calls from sons/daughters/relatives and people are given time slots.This old man's daughter is married to someone in Pune.She calls him once a month.He comes here every Sunday morning though,with a big smile of anticipation on his face.Smile disappears when talk veers towards his son who has no time for his old parents.But life goes on..His dream is to see his grand-son before "Ganesh Chaturti" if he can arrange the money, that is.
My first reaction to this was an unspeakable measure of pity towards this old man. My heart and mind usually disagree on any given day, but this morning was different.They were working in harmony, resenting his children for doing this to him. How can anyone abandon their old parents!!!!! I had many things to say to the politicians and governments promising people the world when in reality they can't provide something as elementary as telephone connections in this day and age.I must have cursed poverty atleast a million times.
I kept looking at this photo for a while and then it struck me that the old man actually looked happy. To him happiness was this moment of anticipation. I realized that if he didn't go to this place every Sunday to wait for his daughter's call he would probably die.Sure there is poverty,sure his children are certified ingrates, sure everything is working against him but he bravely trudges along to do what he wants to.To me he symbolizes a word - a four letter word. HOPE!!! That which makes you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside on a harsh rainy day.
I can't thank this old man enough.I have learnt one of life's valuable lessons today.I am happy and hopeful.
P.S:I am really hopeful that this village will get more phones soon.I am really really hopeful that this man will meet his grand-son.I am really really really hopeful that I get to go to a "real" village as Mr Free-spirit suggested.I am curious to know what life's lessons are waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment